Rhinoplasty in Orlando, FL
What is Rhinoplasty?
Our goal is to create a more balanced, symmetrical nose. Rhinoplasty often involves the removal of a hump, refining the nasal tip, straightening the nose, and narrowing the width of the nose. This can improve the proportionality of the nose to other facial features thereby creating a more smooth and harmonious appearance. The incisions are almost entirely hidden inside of the nose making surgical scars virtually undetectable. A rhinoplasty can usually be performed as an outpatient procedure with the patient returning to work within a week. Nasal splints placed outside and/or inside the nose will be worn after surgery for approximately one week to help the nose heal.
Rhinoplasty Before and After Gallery >>
Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty, more often known as a nose job, is performed for corrective as well as functional reasons. Many people choose to undergo a nose job for the following reasons:
- To correct a misshapen nose or a large bump
- To reduce the size of a very large nose
- To correct breathing issues
- To correct issues caused by trauma
How Is Rhinoplasty Performed?
The particular needs of each individual who undergoes a nose job help to determine which techniques are utilized for surgery. It is for this reason that rhinoplasty is never considered to be a “one-size-fits-all” procedure. There are a lot of individualized factors that come into play when a person is deciding if rhinoplasty is the right cosmetic surgery procedure for them. When you visit our office for your consultation, we will examine your nose shape, discuss your desired outcome, talk about the look you would like to achieve, and then determine the best treatment option from all information gathered.
From the information discussed during your consultation appointment, Dr. Peters may recommend one of the following procedures:
- Open rhinoplasty – This is the most commonly performed cosmetic surgery on the nose. During this particular procedure, incisions are made on both the inside and outside of the nose. Through these incisions, the skin of the nose is raised, the internal structure is reformed, and excess cartilage tissue and skin are removed. The structure of the new nose is supported and maintained by tissue grafts, and the incisions are then sutured shut. This opening allows Dr. Peters total access to the nose's internal structure, which allows him to perform a very straightforward procedure with predictable results.
- Closed rhinoplasty – A tremendous benefit of closed rhinoplasty is the fact that no incisions are made on the outside of the nose. Thus, all of the incisions required for the procedure are concealed inside of the nasal cavity. This closed technique, however, allows the doctor less direct access to the nose's inner structures, resulting in a less exact approach and less predictable result. Closed rhinoplasty can produce natural-looking, attractive results when performed by a skilled surgeon such as Dr. Peters. Both open and closed rhinoplasty techniques have the same amount of recovery time, with closed rhinoplasty having the benefit of less visible scarring.
Recovery from Rhinoplasty
After surgery, splints and packing will be applied to the nose to provide support as it begins to heal. Initial side effects of healing may include some swelling, bruising, headache, and discomfort at the surgery site, which can be controlled with prescription medications. Dr. Peters will also prescribe antibiotics in order to prevent infection. Swelling can be expected to subside within a few weeks, but it may take up to a full year for the nose to be fully refined. You will return to the office within a few days to have the packing removed; however, the splint may need to be worn for another week or two. Most patients are able to return to work when the packing is removed. Cosmetics may be used to camouflage any bruising or redness that is left behind. It is important to be diligent about protecting the nose from injury during any physical activity for the first six months following surgery in addition to being safe regarding sun exposure.
How Much Does Rhinoplasty Cost in Orlando?
The cost of rhinoplasty varies from patient to patient and depends on the extent of the surgery, in addition to whether any other procedures were performed at the same time. The cost will be discussed in more detail during your one-on-one consultation with Dr. Peters. We are proud to offer many flexible payment options, including cash, checks, and most major credit cards as well as financing through CareCredit®. If you are considering a nose job as a necessary reconstructive procedure for functional purposes, your health insurance may cover some of the cost. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff can help you determine if your insurance carrier covers any of the cost of your rhinoplasty. For those choosing to undergo surgery strictly as a cosmetic procedure, health insurance carriers typically do not cover any of the cost. We kindly ask that full payment for cosmetic procedures be made at least two weeks in advance of your surgery date.
Is Rhinoplasty Right for Me?
Rhinoplasty may be the right procedure for you if you find yourself feeling self-conscious about the size of your nose or feel as if it is out of proportion with the rest of your face. In addition, if your breathing is impaired by structural nasal defects then you may be a candidate for rhinoplasty.
Why Choose Dr. Peters for Rhinoplasty?
Dr. Peters is an outstanding plastic surgeon who has built his career on providing the best care in aesthetic medicine and providing excellent, natural-looking results with every procedure he offers. With his expertise, education, and skills, he has the ability to combine aesthetics and purpose to produce beautiful, natural results that correct any practical issues as well as make any slight changes to your nose to accent your best features.
For more information about rhinoplasty and how this procedure might benefit you, please contact us to schedule a consultation at our Orlando plastic surgery office. The Center for Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, led by board-certified plastic surgeon Kendall Peters, MD, FACS, offers rhinoplasty for men and women who live in Orange County and Central Florida.