Reconstructive Plastic Surgery in Orlando, FL
What is Reconstructive Surgery?
Reconstructive surgery is performed on abnormal structures of the body, caused by congenital defects, developmental abnormalities, trauma, infection, tumors, or disease. It is generally performed to improve function, but may also be done to better reconfigure a normal appearance. The results are both physically and emotionally rewarding.
Reconstructive patients often describe a renewed sense of well-being and improved quality of life through efforts to restore their bodies. It is a central part of the recovery process and provides hope, heightened self-esteem, and an improved outlook on life.
Types of Reconstructive Surgery offered at the Center for Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Breast Reconstruction : Rebuilds the breast following mastectomy. There are many options available for breast reconstruction - immediate, delayed, autologous tissue, and implant reconstruction.
- Head and Neck Reconstruction: Treatment of cancer and other diseases of the head and neck may result in loss of vital structures, such as the esophagus, floor of mouth, mandible, and soft tissues of the face, scalp, and neck.
- Facial Trauma: Injuries to the bony skeleton and soft tissues of the face may require surgical procedures to restore appearance, improve function, and optimize healing.
- Skin Cancer Treatment : Large defects created by the removal of skin cancers may require extensive tissue rearrangement or tissue transfer to close the wound. Additionally, major structures such as the nose, eyelids, ear, and lips may need reconstruction.
- Scar Revision : Large, unsightly, painful scars may be improved by removing the scar and closing the wound under favorable conditions that enable the wound to heal optimally.
- Lower/ Upper Extremity Reconstruction: Soft tissue loss in the arms and legs may expose vital skeletal and neurovascular structures requiring extensive reconstructive procedures to salvage the extremity.
For more information about reconstructive surgery and how these procedures might benefit you, please contact us to schedule a consultation at our Orlando plastic surgery office. The Center for Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, led by board-certified plastic surgeon Kendall Peters, MD, FACS, offers different procedures for reconstructive surgery to the men and women who live in Orange County and Central Florida.